Explore the environment
The Emperor’s Palace is one of the most significant works of late-ancient architecture, not just for the preservation of original parts and the whole, but also for a series of original architectural forms announcing the new early-Christian, Byzantine and early-medieval art. The cathedral was built in the Middle Ages by using materials from an ancient mausoleum. Roman churches from the 12th and 13th centuries, medieval forts and gothic, renaissance and baroque palaces are contained within the Roman walls, thus creating a harmonious whole.
The Klis fortress, one of the most significant fortifications in Croatia, due to its strategic importance had a significant defense position. From the 2nd century BC this area was inhabited by the Illyrian tribe of Delmati, while the first records about the fortress from the 10th century speak of the Roman fortress Kleisa being besieged by the Avars and Slavs which hastened the conquering of Salona in the first half of the 7th century at the time of arrival of the Croats.
Two centuries later Klis had already become the ruler's property and one of the centers of the Croatian state. In the document issued by prince Trpimir in 852 the court is mentioned as his property, and it also became the center of the Early Croatian Littoral or Klis County (Parathalassia). The end of the 11th century was marked by the end of the Croatian national dynasty and Klis fell under the rule of the Hungaro-Croatian kings. One of them, Bela IV and his family used the Klis fortress as shelter during the Tatar siege in 1242, at which time his daughter Margita was born. Nowadays she is celebrated as St. Margita of Klis. By the end of the 13th century Klis was ruled by the princes Šubiæ's of Bribir, the mightiest family of Croatia, and from 1335 the town was again under the protection of the king and the administration of itsfortress commanders.
The most turbulent time of the history of Klis was the beginning of the 16th century, the time of the greatest Turkish invasion to these areas. An important role in its defense was played by Petar Kružiæ, captain and town duke, who together with his warriors Uskoks managed for two and a half decades to resist Turkish attacks and besieges. With his death on March 12, 1537, Klis fell under Turkish rule which meant the loss of the most powerful Croatian fortification in Dalmatia. For 111 years the Jadro River was the border between the Turkish Klis (Kliški Sandžak) and the Venetian controlled Split. During one of the attempts to liberate Klis, the Croats led by Split noblemen Ivan Alberti and Nikola Cindro utilized the element of surprise and managed to take over the fortress in April 1596. However the Turks conquered it again by the end of May, thus defeating Croatian general Juraj Lenkoviæ who came to the aid of the defenders. As late as March 31, 1648 the Venetian army led by general Leonardo Foscolo, joined by the numerous Croatian locals, managed to liberate Klis from the Turks after 10 days of hard-fought battles and achieved its greatest success during the Cretan War.
The area of Klis was organized as a special military and administrative area ruled by the providur based in Klis. The Klis fortress, completely restored and significantly enlarged, remained under the flag of Venice until 1797 when it was taken over by the Austrians. From 1805 until 1813 it was shortly ruled by the French. The period of the second Austrian administration lasted until the end of World War I in 1918, when, with the fall of the Austro-Hungarian Monarchy, Klis, together with the remaining parts of Croatia shared the same fate of all Croatian lands within the borders of the Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes, and afterwards Yugoslavia. During World War II, from April 1941 until October 1944, the Klis fortress was for the last time used for military purposes, mainly as the stronghold of Italian and German occupation forces. Finally in 1990 the flag of the sovereign Repubic of Croatia was placed on it.
The oldest given name of the Biokovo Mountain is its Greek name – Adrion. It divided Dalmatia in the Littoral part and the Dalmatia Hinterland. Biokovo's highest peak is Sv. Jure - St George (1762 m). It is characterized by varied vegetation that includes 2274 herbal species among which numerous endemic species of which the most famous is the so called "Biokovsko zvonce" – Biokovo bell (Edraianthus pumilio) The fauna too is diverse so we can find wolves(Canis lupus), boars (Sus crofa) here. Since 1964 it was again populated by the Balcan chamois (Rupicapra rupicapra balcanica L.) and since 1968 the by European mouflon (Ovis orientalis musimon Pallas). We can also find the Golden Eagle, the Short-toed Snake-eagle, partridges, the Fox and many other animal species here. The only poisonous snake to be found in the Biokovo region is the horned viper. The botanic garden in Kotišina is undoubtedly worth visiting. In 1981 it was proclaimed as a Natural Park. People say that the most beautiful part of Biokovo is precisely this part under Brela.
Take a journey to discover the Biokovo Natural Park. You will be amazed by the numerous panoramic viewpoints from which the most beautiful views over the adjacent villages at the foot of the mountain and over islands. It is advisable that you go exploring in organized groups with a professional guide. Individual hiking is also possible. A map of the hiking trails can be requested from the Brela Tourist Board. There are numerous rare and endangered herbs in the Biokovo Natural Park so you are kindly asked not to pick or destroy them or their habitat. You should also not frighten or kill any of the animals and take care not to damage their habitats.
Cetina is long 104km. Water from river Cetina flows to the power station by the sea near Split. Water, which is regularly let out to the naturally canyon, is great place for summer rafting.
The place under the waterfall in Studenec is great place for bathing. Cetina makes deep and beautiful canyon. On its long way makes couple of amazing passes: Gornjacka, Dragovicka, Derventska, Obrovacka (near town Obrovac Sinjski), Triljska (near town Trilj) and Zadvarska (near town Zadvarje).
The most frequently place for the downhill is lower flow from the bridge at Podgrad to the Radmanovy mlinice. Rafting companies offer the downhill at the part, which is long 8km Slime (Pensici) – Radmanove mlinice.
The enter point of the middle part of Cetina is Tril or Blato na Cetini. The enter point at the lower part is mainly village Trilj with beautiful canyon and with the town Sinj. You can see there also canoes, kayaks and catamarans. The last 5 km before Omis are using for the trips to canyon (also at boats). The another attraction are rock gate and the cave with bats.
The fortress of FORTICA, situated at the very top of the Omiška Dinara mountain, bears witness of the rich and turbulent history of piracy. Such a high position was extremely important for the pirates, since it enabled them to watch over and control a large area, both in the inland and at sea. The view from the fortress of Fortica stretches over the whole town, the canyon of the Cetina river, over the islands of Brač, Hvar and Šolta and the villages of central Poljica. The function of the fortress was to defend the town from enemy attacks. It primarily served as a retreat and if the town had been besieged huge blocks of stone would have been launched from the fortress, demolishing the whole town and at the same time destroying the enemies. The fortress can be reached by a well marked path leading from the very centre of the town, so there is no need to worry about getting lost. The walk from the town centre through the hamlet of Baučići and up to the fortress takes no more than 20 minutes and grants a view you are bound never to forget.
A WALK TO THE FORTRESS OF MIRABELLA
The fortress of Mirabella was built in the 13th century, and served as a lookout tower for enemy attacks. The view from the fortress of Mirabella stretches over the entire old part of town and the new parts of Punta and Priko, the nearby Duće and the entire Channel of of Brač. The lookout fortress provided significant safety from the enemy to the local inhabitants of the time.
THE RIVER CETINA CANYON
The exceptional beauty and variety of its plant and animal life makes the canyon of the river Cetina a place all those visiting Omiš simply have to see – regardless of whether you decide just to take a walk in the nature, go swimming or sunbathing on one of the river beaches, or to try the local specialties in one of the restaurants in the Cetina canyon, this visit will surely be something you will never forget.
THE PARISH CURCH OF ST. MICHAEL
The parish church in Omiš is consecrated to St. Michael. It was built at the beginning of the 17th century, as a Latin inscription on the side door of the church testifies. The bell tower of the church was finished in the 18th century. The church was built by local masters and combines elements of gothic, renaissance and early baroque architecture. In a niche above the ornate stone entrance you can see a statue of St. Michael and a rose window. The walls of the church feature coats of arms of Venetian noblemen and the coat of arms of Omiš. Such stone coats of arms can also be found on the houses of wealthier families of the period, and the portraits of more distinguished noblemen are to be seen on the altar paintings within the church.
THE CHURCH OF ST. PETER
The church of St. Peter in Priko, situated on the right bank of the Cetina river, is first mentioned in historical documents in 1074, during the rule of the Croatian king Slavac. The church features typical Early Christian stone elements (capitals, stone lintel, stone bars on windows). Next to the church there used to be a Benedictine monastery, and later a Franciscan monastery as well.
THE TOWN MUSEUM
The town museum of Omiš houses a collection of artefacts testifying of the ancient history of Omiš – such as stone fragments found in the hamlet of Baučići, fragments with Roman inscriptions dating back to the years 33 and 51 BC, a marble portrait of the Roman emperor Tiberius, a large part of an ancient sacrifice altar dedicated to emperor Augustus, Roman graves, decorated steles, sarcophaguses and other.
THE HOUSE OF A HAPPY MAN
The historical centre of Omiš is formed by stone houses connected by narrow alleys („calle“) and charming little squares which used to be the heart of this small town"s life. One of the most interesting sites here is definitely the house which today represents the headquarters of the famous Festival of Dalmatian Klapa (close-harmony singing), as well as the so called „House of the Happy Man“, a Renaissance building which gets its name from the inscription on its facade that reads: “I thank thee Lord for having lived in this world.”
PIRATES" NIGHTS AND THE PIRATE BATTLE
At the end of July and the beginning of August Omiš becomes a venue of the several days long „Pirates" Nights“, a festivity organized with the purpose to celebrate and revive the town"s glorious history of piracy. During the Pirates" Nights you can enjoy various cultural and entertainment events: poetry evenings on the fortress of Mirabella, pirate battles in the town"s port, numerous concerts in the part of town called Borići, various art workshops and other. Mid August a simulation of an actual battle between the pirates of Omiš and the Venetians is organised in the town"s port. The pirates use their small but fast boats to attack a huge Venetian sailing-ship in search of treasure.
„Crazy dives“ are an event which takes place each summer in the port of Omiš for the pure entertainment of the numerous audience. Crazy dives were first organised in the year 1951, and have since become a true attraction of this small town. Throughout the years every diver gave something special and unique to each dive, so many of them are today named after their original creators. Some of the famous dives are: " the Pere Štela dive", "the Marijo Kike dive", "the Marijan Vertikula dive", "the wooden plank dive", "fisherman Palunko"s dive", "the pancake dive", "the retired Tarzan"s dive", "the Celery and Parsley dive", "dive on a Czech woman" ,"the wounded bird dive", "the cod-fish dive", "dive on the hoe".....
Makarska is known for its many cultural, sporting and other events throughout the year and you have chosen the right city for your memorable vacation. In summer, it was the famous fishing festivals in traditional Dalmatian style, various entertainment concerts, summer carnival, folk festivals, night Kalalarga, a large number of bars, discos, bars, restaurants and other facilities ... You will surely be satisfied in our town a friendly hosts will do everything to make you Makarsku remembered as the "City of the return!
Makarska has always been the center of the surrounding region known as Makarska Riviera, both in an administrative, political and economic sense, as well as a center of culture, education, and since the mid twentieth century, tourism. Today, it is a city of more than 15 thousand inhabitants that encompasses picturesque villages at the foot of the Biokovo Mountain, including Veliko Brdo, Puharići, Kotišina and Makar (which is where the name of Makarska comes from). Makarska is one of the most famous tourist destinations on the Croatian coast, attractive for its nature and good climate, rich in tourist attractions and full of hospitable hosts.
o this day, Makarska is known for its sandy beach, which is almost 2 kilometers long. The walkways are lined with pine trees and surrounded by luxury hotels, tourist facilities, and gastronomical havens, and there is plenty of fun for both adults and children. Makarska is located below the mountain of Biokovo (1762 m), which protects it from the harsh continental climate and is responsible for its rich Mediterranean vegetation, mild winters, long, warm summers cooled by a refreshing breeze called maestral. Makarska has more than 2750 hours of sun each year and the air temperature above 20°C from July to September. During these same months, the crystal-clear sea also averages a temperature of above 20°C.
The city of Makarska grew around a natural harbor protected by a picturesque peninsula of Sveti Petar (St. Peter) and the cape Osejava. It is the only harbor of this kind between the mouth of the Cetina and Neretva rivers. In the past it provided protection and safe harbor during stormy weather to sailors, pirates and merchants, and nowadays it does the same for yachts, sailing boats and tourist ships. This contributed to its development into a trading port, especially during the Ottoman and Venetian occupation. Today, there is a ferry line which runs a few times a day from Makarska to Sumartin on the island Brač. During the summer months the harbor fills up with yachts and tourist ships, while young people crowd the main Kačić square enjoying entertainment and cultural performances. As the night goes on, Makarska becomes livelier and livelier, and its cafes, restaurants and discotheques fill up.
Old town - Trogir
Trogir, a harmonious stone town on a small island that is connected to the mainland and the island of Čiovo by bridges. The old town, under UNESCO protection, is a treasure trove for lovers of art, Renaissance and Baroque buildings, Romanesque churches...
It is called the town-museum which is visible in the famous portal of Trogir cathedral by the craftsman Radovan in 1240, a Renaissance city lodge, the thousand year old Monastery of sv. Nikola [St. Nicholas] which has the ancient famous relief of Kairos preserved in it from the 4th century BC.
The small, narrow streets and small village squares, numerous restaurants, cafes, souvenir shops and galleries, along with numerous cultural and music open air events give this town a special atmosphere of the Mediterranean.
Trogir is an excellent example of urban continuity. The orthogonal street plan of this island settlement originates from the Hellenic era – consecutive rulers continued to decorate it with exceptional public and residential buildings and forts. Its beautiful roman churches are supplemented with exceptional renaissance and baroque buildings. The most significant building is the Trogir Cathedral with its west portal, a masterpiece of Radovan and the most significant example of roman and gothic art in Croatia.